The Drurys of Glencoe

By the 1840s, the fertile land closest to the sea had been taken up. It needed a hardy breed to tackle the rugged country shelving from Pigeon House Mountain. Michael Drury hailed from London; his innate resource and Cockney adaptability helped him to pioneer at Glencoe.

 

Arthur Drury and bullock team hauling logs to Brooman Mill early 1900s

Arthur Drury and bullock team hauling logs to Brooman Mill early 1900s

 

Five generations of Drurys have owned land at Nelligen, Brooman, Green Mount, Happy Valley and Orange Grove. Most of them are tall, dark, wiry bushmen, and superb horsemen with a wry sense of humour. The fifth generation to live under the watchful eye of Pigeon House is Kevin and his wife Kath and their son Alan.

 

Bullock team working at Shallow Crossing with Reg Drury in charge

 

Kevin Drury with bullock team at the Milton Show, 1988

 

Kevin was born in 1940, well into the machine age. Until Sunday 28 September 1980, he ‘snigged’ with a bullock team the logs he cut on the mountain – the last working team on the South Coast. Ten magnificent beasts, obedient to his voice and the slight flick of his long-handled rawhide whip.

On that Sunday, Pigeon House was wreathed in the smoke of bushfires, the paddocks were bare of grass the only cattle feed was the lopped willow branches.

There had been working bullocks on the mountain for 140 years but on that Sunday the heavy yokes were stored in the shed and the bells hung up for the last time.

 

 

A 'hobo' life in Milton
Early settlement and industries

Tags: , , ,

Latest Articles

  • Ulladulla’s famous Funland, and Rowen’s Arcade

    In the late 1940s and early 1950s, with my wife Doreen, we would spend many weekends in the Milton-Ulladulla area, spear fishing and water skiing. When King’s Point was subdivided, we had the first house built there by Millard and Ingold builders, as a weekender.

  • Farewell Joanne Ewin

    The Milton Ulladulla Historical Society (MUHS) recently lost one of its highly-valued Life Members with the passing of Joanne Ewin on 24 January 2018, a well-known and respected member of the Milton-Ulladulla community and a past secretary of MUHS.

  • Have you found Millards Creek Weir, Ulladulla?

    Have you seen a piece of Ulladulla’s history, existing since 1861, near a busy road, but only noticed by a few pedestrians? It is the weir over Millards Creek, 20 metres off St Vincent Street, looking west.

  • Heritage trees in Milton Ulladulla

    The heritage fig in Milton is a well-known landmark and much loved by locals and visitors and the historic elm outside the Anglican church is also an important part of Milton’s history.

  • Milton Ulladulla in 1883

    On 20 January 1883, the popular broadsheet publication ‘Australian Town and Country Journal’ published a unique insight into the district of Milton-Ulladulla. Called ‘Southern Pencillings’ and attributed to ‘The Raven’, it included several line drawings featuring Pigeon House mountain, Lake Conjola, Airlie House and Ulladulla Harbour.