Hotel Marlin, Ulladulla – post WW2 luxury

Officially opened in August 1948, the Marlin Hotel on the Princes Highway in Ulladulla became the first hotel to open in New South Wales after World War 2.

 

Hotel Marlin Ulladulla 1950s

 

Built by Mr and Mrs A.L Pitman for £40,000, the Marlin is an art deco style brick building, with square entrance columns. As bricks were in very short supply after the war, locals tell stories of how they were supplied through the machinations of notorious Sydney crime figure Tilly Devine.

Mrs Pitman was well-known for her decorating style and the entire hotel was furnished and decorated in the latest mid-century style from Anthony Horderns and Sons Ltd in Sydney, which also supplied the state-of-the-art catering equipment.

 

Canberra Times October 1948 Advertisement for the Marlin Hotel, furnished by Anthony Horderns

 

New decorating ideas of the time were shown in the cream venetian blinds in the main Dining Room, chromium-framed furniture in the Sitting Room, and inlaid marble linoleum floor covering and glass-topped tables in the Club Lounge.

The hotel was sold after only two years to Ansett Transport Industries after which it became a destination for Ansett bus tourists and a stopover point on the route between Sydney and Melbourne.

 

Hotel Marlin in Ulladulla c1960 with northern extension

 

The building of the luxurious Marlin Hotel also began a shift in development and commercial focus from the old town of Milton to the rapidly expanding Ulladulla.

 

Horses benefit from Bills' generosity
Early settlement and industries

Tags: , , ,

Latest Articles

  • Ulladulla’s famous Funland, and Rowen’s Arcade

    In the late 1940s and early 1950s, with my wife Doreen, we would spend many weekends in the Milton-Ulladulla area, spear fishing and water skiing. When King’s Point was subdivided, we had the first house built there by Millard and Ingold builders, as a weekender.

  • Farewell Joanne Ewin

    The Milton Ulladulla Historical Society (MUHS) recently lost one of its highly-valued Life Members with the passing of Joanne Ewin on 24 January 2018, a well-known and respected member of the Milton-Ulladulla community and a past secretary of MUHS.

  • Have you found Millards Creek Weir, Ulladulla?

    Have you seen a piece of Ulladulla’s history, existing since 1861, near a busy road, but only noticed by a few pedestrians? It is the weir over Millards Creek, 20 metres off St Vincent Street, looking west.

  • Heritage trees in Milton Ulladulla

    The heritage fig in Milton is a well-known landmark and much loved by locals and visitors and the historic elm outside the Anglican church is also an important part of Milton’s history.

  • Milton Ulladulla in 1883

    On 20 January 1883, the popular broadsheet publication ‘Australian Town and Country Journal’ published a unique insight into the district of Milton-Ulladulla. Called ‘Southern Pencillings’ and attributed to ‘The Raven’, it included several line drawings featuring Pigeon House mountain, Lake Conjola, Airlie House and Ulladulla Harbour.