Holidays by the sea

Tourism had its humble beginnings in the early 1900s when the Butson family first ran a simple camping area on the northern side of Lake Burrill in 1924. As roads slowly extended south of the Shoalhaven River passenger services (mail car) expanded and more adventurous tourists braved the difficult roads.

Butsons Burrill Lake camping park in 1926

 

Travellers outside the Wandanian Hotel

 

Then in the 1940s-50s as motor vehicles became affordable and popular, roads improved and new tourist accommodation was built, visitor numbers multiplied.

 

Marlin Hotel, Ulladulla 1950s

 

The 1960s saw a new era promoting the growth of housing subdivision releases such as at Mollymook, Bannister Head and Narrawallee. The commonly called ‘weekender’ was built on these small blocks of land and purchased by people from Sydney to Canberra.

 

Holiday cabins at Narrawallee 1950s

 

The desirability in ‘weekenders’ grew as Sydney siders could leave home on Friday afternoon and reach their coastal destination within four hours.

The 1970-80s again saw an increase in the number of Australian families on annual Christmas and Easter holidays and long weekend trips, staying in the region to enjoy the beach, the bush, the lakes and streams and the promise of the healthy lifestyle of the ‘great outdoors’.

Motels and ‘Bed and Breakfasts’ proliferated to accommodate the influx of the travelling public.

The towns began to grow and business developed. Families, workers and sea changers moved in as did retirees building permanent homes, seeking sun and surf and walks and a quiet, relaxed lifestyle.

The towns and villages continue to offer a wonderful range of good venues for entertainment, gatherings, functions and dining out.

 

 

Pigeon House Mountain
Geological history: from the mountains to the sea

Tags: , , , ,

Latest Articles

  • Have you found Millards Creek Weir, Ulladulla?

    Have you seen a piece of Ulladulla’s history, existing since 1861, near a busy road, but only noticed by a few pedestrians? It is the weir over Millards Creek, 20 metres off St Vincent Street, looking west.

  • Heritage trees in Milton Ulladulla

    The heritage fig in Milton is a well-known landmark and much loved by locals and visitors and the historic elm outside the Anglican church is also an important part of Milton’s history.

  • The day the Milton Show exploded

    In the late 1940s, Milton Shows were still fairly frugal affairs and offered little entertainment for small children. Children quite naturally created their own fun.

  • A Milton ‘institution’, Matron Gwenda Porter

    Gwenda Porter arrived in Milton by bus in 1940 and was said to have told the bus driver that she would be back on it the next day after seeing how small the town and hospital were. Instead, she stayed on as Matron at Milton Ulladulla Hospital for the next 32 years, retiring in 1972 and then continuing to live in the district until her death.

  • Milton pioneer William Henry Wilford

    Milton’s 19th century prosperity was partly built on the expanding dairy industry, established by pioneers like William Wilford on the rich volcanic monzonite soil that surrounds the town.